As the number of new COVID-19 cases continues to rise across Los Angeles County, Manhattan Beach is closing outdoor seating spaces on public property, effectiveSunday at 10 p.m. 

Tables and chairs in the outdoor seating spaces will be removed at that time.

At the beginning of the current surge on Nov. 1, Manhattan Beach had 425 confirmed cases of COVID-19. As of Saturday, that number nearly doubled to 821 cases. 

On Dec. 31, the daily number of new cases reached 21, and on New Year’s Day, it hit 26, an all-time high. Remaining ICU capacity in Southern California is at 0%. 

“We must continue to respond to the ever-changing dynamics of this pandemic. We are asking residents to stay home if possible, and mainly go out for work and essentials, or to exercise outdoors,” said Manhattan Beach Mayor Suzanne Hadley. 

“This recent spike in the virus is significant despite the good news last month of our Manhattan Beach firefighters receiving some of the first COVID-19 vaccinations,” Hadley said. 

“Although public seating areas will be closed temporarily, please continue supporting our local businesses that offer pick-up, curbside, take-out and delivery services.” 

With a new mutant strain of COVID-19 now active in California — reportedly much more easily spread than the original virus — people must continue striving to reduce virus transmission, wearing face coverings, maintaining a safe distance, staying home as much as possible and supporting local businesses, Manhattan Beach officials said.

###

By Richard Moran

Richard Moran loves to write about sports with the Golden State Online. Before that, he worked as a senior writer at ESPN. Richard grew up in San Diego and graduated from the University of San Diego in 2004, after which he worked as an editor for five years.

Leave a Reply